Skip to main content

One Dark and Stormy during a Hurricane

I'm from the Carolina's where legend has it that our family commonly just hunkered down in the home on the coast and waterways than to head for inland shelter. Now that's from the old school days of barely improved (read paved) roads. They counted a storms severity by how high on the back porch steps (about 15 - top to ground) the water reached.  I don't recommend this action in todays world of long range forecast and transportation options.

I do recommend a drink or two in a hotel bar, far far away.

This is the week that Harvey came ashore in Texas.  I live on a hill in the little old town of Grapevine outside Dallas and Fort Worth.  And thank you all for letting me know that a storm is coming... I didn't get out and walk Malibu before the rain hit, so I grabbed a hat and we went anyway.  Much nicer walk with the drizzle, I'd say.

I'll raise a glass to you - if you were not smart enough to do the responsible thing, at the last responsible moment.

I do remember being in hurricane Hugo a quarter of a century ago in Charlotte.  Well inland from the coast and the assumed storm.  I sleep through it.  I remember waking up and hearing the winds whipping the trees about.  I hoped that the one over the Mustang (64 1/2; 4 speed; 289) would last the night.  Awoke to quite a mess in Charlotte, trees and power lines down all around.  The 'Stang made it.

A Dark and Stormy
A highball cocktail made with dark rum and ginger beer served over ice and garnished with a slice of lime.

Ingredients: 3 1/3 oz Ginger Beer, Couple dashes of bitters, 2 oz Dark Rum, dash of lime juice.
Preparation: In a highball glass filled with ice, add dark rum and top with ginger beer. Garnish with lime wedge.

A Hurricane
A light & dark rum cocktail - blended and garnished with a slice of orange & cherry.

Ingredients: 2 1/2 oz light rum, 2 1/2 oz dark rum, 2 oz grenadine, 3 oz orange juice, 3 oz pineapple juice.
Preparation: Blend with crushed ice. Garnish with orange wedge and a cherry.

We are NOT there.  A friend had to post to Facebook a map so that other humans could grasp that not all Texican are drowning in the hurricane.  Funny, that as the internet allows the world to shrink we humans still have size scaling issues.


See Also:

Harvey's Real Story Begins: 40 Inches of Rain to Bring Catastrophic Flooding to Southeast Texas
Hugo 25 years later: Rare Charlotte hurricane made history



Comments